The White Hart
The White Hart was mentioned in White's Cheshire Directory in the mid 19th Century as being managed by Mr S A Anderson and having a fine bowling green. (The George & Dragon is similarly mentioned)
There was a small thatched cottage on this site when Cheadle was visited by Oliver Cromwell during the Civil War. The cottage was owned by Robert Axon and in 1756, it had its first licensee, Edward Coppocke. From 1779 it became known as The White Hart but was shown in deeds as 'Axson's Cottage' called or known by the sign of The White Hart.
The Inn was the stopping point on the Manchester to London stagecoach route.
The name, The White Hart. comes from the badge of the Cheshire Archers which was a white hart and many Cheadle men fought with the Cheshire Archers. There is still an archery club in Cheadle which is based at Bruntwood Park. It was also the family crest of the Downs family and in 1778 John and Elizabeth Downs were shown as Licencees.
From the mid to late 1800s, The White Hart had a reputation for being a hospitable and welcoming hostelry. Travelling show people used the hostelry and would also perform for the villagers and each September during Cheadle Wakes, a travelling fair used the back yard of the pub. A small zoo was set up in the back yard for many years.