The Manor House
The Manor House is a small box framed timber house, which was heavily restored in the 19th century. It was originally thought to be 17th century but recent findings suggest that it may have been a medieval hall house and therefore very much older.
The original building was built in wattle and daub. (wattle and daub is a composite building material used for making walls, in which a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle is daubed with a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung and straw). The present house retains some original beams and an inglenook fireplace.
The London and North-west Railway Company altered it considerably in the 1880s, replacing the thatched roof with tiles and adding new windows as well as rebuilding the outer walls. there is no evidence that it was ever a manor house. Mrs Anniie Bowen lived there in 1890 and the Prescott family owned it in the 19th Century and let it to John Bracegirdle.