The Old Rectory
Post Office, rectory Gardens
The Post Office was the site of the Old Rectory and the area is still called Old Rectory Gardens.
The Old Rectory was a black and white building, which it is believed in and stables 1530 with materials left over from building St Mary's church. It stood in a walled garden, with orchards, barns and stables and probably an ice house. The house had been extensively altered and modernised which led to the belief that it was 18th or 19th Century. The two storey porch was the only sign of its Tudor origins.
The original house was very large. In 1664 it was shown for the Hearth Tax as having 13 hearths (The next largest house in Cheadle only had 5). It was described in 1728 as having 6 bays, measuring 100'' in length.
When the Bulkeley family moved from Cheadle to Anglesey in 1440 their old manor house became the Rectory with possibly one of the younger sons being the Rector.
In 1540 John Bulkeley was Rector and his sister, Katherine, was Abbess of Godstow Nunnery. She came to live with her brother when her Nunnery was suppressed by Thomas Cromwell in 1539 and her history is linked with St Mary's Church.