Newlands House stands next to the literary institute and is a fine example of a 19th Century Georgian house- one of the few that remain in the village. The house was built on land owned by the woman who Fletcher Moss of Didsbury, called 'The Witch of Cheadle'.
The so-called witch was Arabella Mottram who, towards the end of her life, lived in a cottage, called War Broo, on Newlands Road. She was arrested for debt and died at Chester castle. her body was returned to Cheadle and she is buried in St. Mary's graveyard.
William Evans lived in the house in 1838. Evans was at one time the landlord of the George and Dragon and he was appointed a Guardian of the poor for Cheadle. It was Evans who first put the stumps up at the Green, presumably to stop the travellers with horse-drawn wagons from living there.
In the 1880s it was sold to a surgeon, Henry Wilson (who later moved to The Beeches on Stockport Road) and in 1902, Mr and Mrs McClure lived there. Mrs McClure lived there until 1919.