George & Dragon
This is an 18th Century public house and coaching inn and retains the arch leading into the yard where the ostlers would change the on the coaches. It is a Grade 2 listed building.
Originally it was a cottage ale house called Gibbon's Cottage. It was bought in 1778 together with the house next door. By 1790, it was known as The George Inn and run by Mr George Royle and his wife Betty. Mrs Royle also ran a stay-making business from the premises. A carriage entrance was added and the adjoining cottage attached was extended upwards. The bay window was added in the 19th Century and the arched entrance in the 20th Century. The name was changed to the George and Dragon in the 20th Century and the present sign of St George took the place of the original sign showing a bunch of grapes.
It was once managed by Alice Glover and at that time had an excellent bowling green which was mentioned in White's Cheshire Directory.
Charles Dickens, who is supposed to have used Manchester as the basis for Coketown in his book 'Hard Times', visited the area to research for his book and visit relatives and he stayed at the George and Dragon on these visits.
In the early 1900s, there used to be a small menagerie behind the pub.