Two railway stations came to Cheadle in the same year, the first one on the 1st February 1866, it was located a mile north of the village. Cheshire Line Committee owned the new, but the arguably remote station, the main building was on the south side of the line, (the side where Golden Days garden centre is) and it was referred to as the 'down line' or the 'bottom line' but its proper name was Cheadle North.
It was built in what the CLC favoured to be a well-proportioned red bricked style. The twin pavilion structure consisted of a two-storey stationmasters house forming the larger pavilion, while the other was single-storey, connected to it by an entrance hall and a ticket office, where a swept-down roof covered the waiting area on the platform.
A single-storey wing projected eastwards from the main Victorian office block, set back from the platform. The stationmaster's house included a bay window, and where the present day 'Golden Days' Garden Centre is, was the station coal yard. On the 'up' side of the platform (north of the line) was a large bricked waiting shelter with a slate roof. Also on the 'up' side of the platform, and in a similar style to the station, were two houses for railway workers in the form of a semi-detached block.
The signal box was at the west end of the 'up' platform, it controlled the main line through the station, as well as access to the station goods yard which was located to the west of the station, south of the line. The goods yard had two sidings, (a siding, in rail terminology, is a low-speed track section distinct from a running line or through routes such as the main line or branch line or spur. It may connect through a track or to other sidings at either end.) a goods shed, and a 5-ton lifting crane. There was also a high siding to the north side of the track.
Whilst it was open, Cheadle North would have been served by trains running between Godley (a suburb of hyde) and Altrincham, with passenger services from August 1873. The line would also have been served by trains running between Stockport and Liverpool. The station closed in 1964 and is now the Cheshire Line pub and restaurant. The station house itself became the Station pub, later the Cheshire Line, and the Victorian offices became the brewery, which was brewed on site by a Mr David Pollard, known for his best bitter. And of course, the coal yard became the Garden Centre.