Cheadle Literary Institute
The Literary Institute was built for the people of Cheadle by a wealthy benefactor in 1876 with the intention of providing the benefit of a reading room, large public hall and library for the local population. The building also incorporated a gymnasium and recreation rooms with snooker and billiards. It was well used by the residents of Cheadle and Manchester University used it to hold courses there. it closed in 1996, after it was used briefly as Council offices and the library and Citizens Advice Bureau were housed there as well until the new library was built on Ashfield Road in the 1960s. The institute has since been renovated and sold or leased as offices.
The Literary Institute was established in 1852, (before the building was built) for "promoting the moral and intellectual of the members by providing a reading room, the library and lectures and by providing harmless and healthy recreation" Cheadle Choral Society gave several concerts at the Institute over a period of 40 years.
The present building is important not only for its architectural presence and social importance, but also because it was designed by a woman. Records show that only one other building was designed by a woman in this era and that was in the Lake District. The new building was funded by donations from leading individuals in the village and wider area. Amongst these were Dr and Mrs Bangay. While Dr Bangay was the leading force behind the Institute, it was Mrs Bangay who was responsible for the design of the building.
The first chair of the Institute was Daniel Adamson, the Industrialist famous for having called the meeting, at his home in Didsbury (The Towers) to form The Manchester Ship Canal Company in June 1882. In the 1930s the building was handed to the District Council in the belief (sadly mistaken) that this would secure its future.
**Leave the Green walking towards Manchester Road and the railway bridge.