By Ian O'Brien
Cheadle Hall sadly no longer exists, but once stood proudly next to the Village Green up to the present path between the old path and the Cheadle Institute, in fact, the Hall completely covered the whole of the pond that was on the grounds until early 2014.
On the other side of the path from the Hall was a line of buildings, which in all probability were stables for working horses and a coach house, this has been verified in part from other references.
Cheadle Hall was built in 1756 by the Reverend Thomas Egerton after the Manor of Cheadle Bulkeley was sold to him. He had the Hall built facing directly towards the Village.
In 1762 the Rector left the property to his nephews, the Beresfords, who sold the Hall to Mr Harrison of Stockport in 1773 and the residue to Mr Worthington of Ringway in 1806 for £1,600. James Harrison was a cotton baron from Manchester who also owned land in Reddish and Brinnington.
In 1876, Sir James Watts bought the manorial rights with Cheadle Hall and some land for his son, but it was left empty for long periods of time.
Fletcher Moss reported that antiques were actually housed there, including a clock, that was originally bought from a cottage, which was too small for the room. A hole was cut into the ceiling and the face was put through the hole to stand in the room above.
A court Leet and Barony were re-established by James Watts as Lord of the Manor and this was held at Cheadle Hall on 17th October each year.
At one time it would have received rents and given out justice to wrongdoers. The new court Leet met to discuss local problems before retiring to the George and Dragon for a celebratory dinner. These courts didn't last long!
Incidentally, James Watts had an older son, also called James, who had been married for more than 10 years to a Margaret (Madge) Miller, and they themselves moved into Cheadle Hall. Madge was the elder sister of Agatha Christie, and the young writer and her mother then visited Cheadle regularly, usually during winter, and would stay at Cheadle Hall.
Once the Hall was no longer used as a residence, it was used in a variety of ways, firstly as a girl's school run by Miss Hunter, and in 1838, a young Charles Dickens visited the school and even left some autographed books for them! after that, it was used as a convalescent home. Later it was used by Osborne's removal firm and then it was sold to the Milk Marketing Board. The Hall was finally demolished in 1958.
Cheadle Hall was thought to have been haunted by a young girl who died of love and who appeared, sighing, as she looked for her lost lover. One of the bedrooms was also supposed to have blood stains on the walls and floor which could not be scrubbed away. The walls and floors were eventually covered to hide them.